About Coney Island
Coney Island is a New York City neighborhood that features an amusement area that includes 50 or more separate rides and attractions; it's not a centrally managed amusement park like Disneyland or Six Flags. As a result, specific questions about rides, filming privileges, etc., should be directed to individual businesses. This website is maintained by Coney Island USA, the not for profit arts organization that runs the Mermaid Parade, the Sideshow and the Coney Island Museum, among other programs.
Days and Times of Operation
Coney Island is a seasonal center operating roughly between Easter and Halloween. Rides and attraction are generally open on weekends from Easter until Memorial Day, all week long from Memorial Day until Labor Day, and then weekends from Labor Day until the end of October. The beach and boardwalk are open all year round (although lifeguards are only on duty from Memorial Day to Labor Day) and Nathan's Hot Dogs and the New York Aquarium are open almost every day of the year.
During the week, rides and attractions may open at noon and run until the late evening. During the weekends, the same rides and attractions open around noon and may run until the early morning.
Rides and Attractions
Many of the Coney Island rides and attractions don't have websites or other contact information. But if you have questions, you can call or check out the website from one of the following:
- Luna Park, Scream Zone & The Cyclone Roller Coaster - 718-373-5862
- The New York Aquarium at Coney Island - 718-265-3474
- Deno's Wonder Wheel Park - 718-372-2592
- Eldorado Bumper Cars and Arcade - 718-946-6642
- MCU Park and the Brooklyn Cyclones - 718-449-849
- Beach & Boardwalk - New York City Department Of Parks and Recreation - 311 or 212-NEW-YORK
- Abe Stark Rink - 718-946-6536
- Coney Island USA- Home of the Coney Island Circus Sideshow, the Coney Island Museum, Freak Bar and more!!!
Fireworks on the Beach
Fireworks shoot off at 9:30pm every Friday night during the season. Fireworks generally start the last weekend in June and conclude the Friday before Labor Day.
Coney Island is the birthplace of the hot-dog, and there is no shortage of places to eat here. Some of our favorites are:
- Tom's Coney Island - 1229 Boardwalk W.
- Footprints Cafe - 1521 Surf Ave.
- Gargiulo's - 2911 West 15th Street
- L&B Spumoni Gardens - 2725 86 st. (just 2 miles away)
- Parkview Diner - 2939 Cropsey Ave.
- Peggy O'Neill's - 1904 Surf Ave. at MCU Park
- Nathan's Famous - 1310 Surf Ave. & 1129 Boardwalk
- Totonnos Pizzeria Napolitano - 1524 Neptune Ave.
- Ruby's Bar and Grill - 1213 Riegelmann Boardwalk
- Grimaldi's Pizza - 1215 Riegelmann Surf Ave.
How To Get to Coney Island
Coney Island is located in the southernmost part of Brooklyn. If you are using Google Maps or a gps, you can use the address 1208 Surf Avenue.
Take the D, Q, N or F train to Stillwell Avenue. This takes about 45 - 60 minutes from midtown Manhattan.
B36 (Coney Island / Avenue U/Sheepshead Bay)
B64 (Coney Island / Bay Ridge)
B68 (Coney Island / Windsor Terrace)
B74 (Sea Gate / Coney Island)
B82 (Coney Island / Spring Creek)
By Express Bus from Manhattan:
Take the Belt Parkway to exit 6. Head south on Cropsey Avenue to West 17th Street. MCU Park and the Parachute Jump will be in front of you on Surf Avenue. Metered Parking is available along most streets. There are commercial parking lots on West 17th Street at MCU Park and West 12th Street between Mermaid and Surf, West 15th Street between the Boardwalk and Surf and on Neptune Avenue between West 12th and Stillwell Avenue.
There is no lodging in Coney Island. There are a few hotels in Sheepshead Bay, a short cab ride away. Coney Island USA lists these lodgings as a courtesy only due to their proximity; this should not be considered a recommendation.
- Comfort Inn
3218 Emmons Ave, Brooklyn, NY, US, 11235 Phone: (718) 368-3334 Fax: (718) 368-3963
- Best Western Bay Brooklyn
3003 Emmons Avenue Brooklyn, New York, 11235-2212 Phone: 718-769-5000 Fax: 718-769-5005
Have a question we haven't answered here? Try asking our Message Boards!