An assortment of puppeteers perform various scenes from the 358-year-old traditional English puppet show, Punch & Judy (n.b. for adults only)
Once upon a time in Coney Island, there were so many Punch & Judy shows happening, that “Punch and Judy together with [their cohorts] the devil, the priest and the hangman could be viewed on almost any part of the beach...” - Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 10 Jun 1878
For the first time in PUNCH puppet slam’s history (it’s been around in some form since 2005) we are taking on our namesake! Artists who already had a tradition of doing Punch & Judy shows were asked to share a snippet of their piece with us or create a new scene for this event - and it’s going to be EPIC!!!
“Kamikaze” is a term Drama of Works uses for its themed puppet slams, based around one story/event/play. A multitude of puppet artists are given sections of the story to reinterpret and create with wild abandon. Then it is presented in order. No one knows how it will come together until the night of the show. www.dramaofworks.com/punch
- Drama of Works (Brooklyn, NY)
- Connor Hopkins, Artistic Director and Janitor, Trouble Puppet Theater Company Workshop
- Deborah Hunt, Jorge Díaz and musician Agustín Muñoz (San Juan, PR)
- Jeghetto's Entertainment, LLC (Asheville, NC)
- Sarah Nolen, Resident Artist at Puppet Showplace Theater (Boston, MA)
- Noisy Oyster (Somerset, UK)
- Brendan Schweda/Puppets Come Home! (Brooklyn, NY)
- Tooth and Nail Cabaret = Elle Love, Caitlin Ross and Marcus Fioravante (all over the place)
- Amy Trompetter/Redwing Blackbird Theater (Rosendale, NY)
Suggested Donation - A link will be provided during the show to support the artists, and a portion of the proceeds will go to the Domestic Violence Project at the Urban Justice Center.
PUNCH Kamikaze is made possible in part through the generosity of The Puppet Slam Network.